Monday, June 8, 2009


A piece of history is mine

So you might wonder who those two hand shaking men are on the header of the blog. It's my pleasure to explain.

For many years South Africa was ruled under an apartheid (Afrikaans for "separate") regime. This meant that only whites had the right to vote and basically live a free life. My ancestors were amongst those who benefited from this government. I also benefited (and still do). One of the main freedom fighters was a black man named Nelson Mandela, and he was imprisoned on Robben Island (an island off the Cape coast) for many decades. He was released from prison in 1990 and from there on supported reconciliation and negotiation towards a multi-racial democracy. In 1994 he became his country's first black president.




Because of Apartheid South Africa had different types of sanctions against it and one of them was that sport teams from South Africa couldn't participate in any major international sporting events like World Cup tournaments. Rugby is undoubtedly the biggest sport in South Africa. After the first democratic elections the sanctions were lifted. It just so happened that South Africa was hosting the Rugby World Cup in 1995.

I remember the excitement, I was only turning nine that year. The country had a new president a killer rugby team and everyone had high hopes for this "land of milk and honey." The theme song for the World Cup that year was "The World in Union." (of which you can find a beautiful arrangement of here) Oh, that song of hope, we loved it. I even think we sang it in a school concert that year! Maybe it's just my rose colored memory of my childhood years that gets me so excited when I think of this time.On the day of the final, none of us could sit still. My mom had to go for a walk outside, I had to go to the loo and my sister had to close her eyes. But Francois Pienaar (the captain of the team) led his team to victory. And we all screamed and shouted and cried for joy. I heard other families in their living rooms, cars were blowing their horns and outside the black people were dancing in the streets. You can watch the moment here.

At that moment the world, but more particularly South Africa was "in union." Nelson Mandela and Francois Pienaar shook hands on the podium, there was joy, there was hope for a better tomorrow, there was reconciliation and there was love. That is why that photo of them is on the header. There may be trouble in a continent called Africa but there is also joy, hope and love. That is what makes me miss it. And that is why I will always call it home.

Posted by Chrizelle at 9:53 PM |  
Labels: , , ,

0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)